Default Interior Banner

Marriage Information

Applying for a Marriage Licence:

To get married in Ontario, you must complete a Marriage Licence Application Form. (Please note: in the parent section, the mother's maiden name is required.) Please phone ahead make an appointment to ensure the appropriate staff will be present, it will take approximately 20 minutes. 

When should I get my marriage licence?
Your marriage licence is valid for 90 days from the day it is issued.
What type of identification do I need to apply?

You will need to bring with you your original birth certificate and another piece of photo government-issued identification for each person getting married (along with any Change of Name Certificates). Please inquire if you do not have your original birth certificate. Photocopies are not accepted.

Other examples of identification include the following: 

  • Valid passport
  • Records of immigrant landing
  • Canadian citizenship card
  • Valid driver's licence
  • Valid Ontario Photo Card

If any of your identification is in a language other than English, you must present it with an official signed transcript of the document.

 How much does a marriage licence cost?

The fee for a marriage licence is $120.00 and is payable by cash, cheque or debit.

The fee for a Goderich Commissioner is $395.50 and is payable by cash, cheque or debit. Fees can be paid directly to your Marriage Commissioner by arrangement or in advance at Goderich Town Hall. 

 What if a minor wants to apply for a marriage licence?

You need to be at least 16 years old to get married in Ontario.

If you are under 18 years old you will need written consent from both your parents or legal guardians.

 What if I have been previously married?

Divorced in Canada

Applicants must provide an original or court-certified copy of the Final Decree, Final Judgment, or a Certificate of Divorce. Certified copies can be obtained from the court that granted the divorce. Photocopies will not be accepted.

Out-of-Country Divorces

Applicants who have been divorced outside of Canada must provide documentation from Service Ontario prior to being issued a marriage licence.

 I'm married, now what?
After the ceremony, the person who performed your wedding provides you with a record of solemnization as a keepsake. This is not a marriage certificate. You may apply for a marriage certificate from Service Ontario 6 to 8 weeks after your marriage ceremony. Couples can complete a Marriage Certificate Application and mail it directly to the Registrar General's office or request the Marriage Certificate online at Service Ontario.
 Does my partner need to come with me?
Both applicants don’t need to be present to apply for and sign a marriage licence provided that the completed signed application form, the birth certificate and identification is provided by the other applicant. Both applicants must sign and date the application form. An original birth certificate must be provided for the person who is not attending.
I'm looking for a Commissioner to preform my marriage.

Authorized Marriage Commissioners for the Town of Goderich are listed below:

Name Address Phone Number
Richard Madge 245 Shore Crescent
Goderich, ON  N7A 1Y6
(519) 524-9029
Melissa Synders 6185 Line 36, RR3
Mitchell, ON  N0K 1N0
(519) 301-0541
Jeff Sabin 199 Bennett Street West
Goderich, ON  N7A 1X7
(519) 524-0939
Kathy Young 113 Park Street
Goderich, ON  N7A 1K9
(519) 524-2820
Lori Vanstone 37204 Londesboro Road
Goderich, ON  N7A 3Y1

(519) 524-0343

Is there suitable locations for a wedding in Goderich?

Please review the policy on marriages being performed on Municipal lands and buildings.

To request the use of a park/beach for a wedding ceremony, please complete the request form and return it to the Town Hall along with your proof of insurance.


Parks available to rent are outlined below:


Lions Harbour Park

Adjacent to West Street at the top of the hill which goes down to the harbour and main beach.  This park has a picnic pavilion which can be reserved for a fee of $75.  It is a large treed park with a walk way that goes under a rose trellis.  Very accessible with a very peaceful feel. There is also a bandshell on site.  It has been the site for numerous weddings.


Bingham Park 

Wilson & Blake Streets has a lookout; it is treed and has a picnic area and a small play ground. It is frequently used for wedding photos.


Lighthouse Park

Sunset Park Picture Sunset Park View

Cobourg Street is home to the Lighthouse. It looks out over Lake Huron and has a picnic area. It has been the site for numerous weddings.


Court House Park 

Courthouse Park Gazebo Courthouse Park Band Stand Courthouse Park Fountain

The Square in the centre of town.  It has a bandstand which can be reserved. It is in the middle of a traffic circle so it is a busier park area.  It is the location of many Town of Goderich events.


Gaol Bank

North of Gloucester Terrace between North Street and Victoria Street. It overlooks the Maitland River and has the Lions Lookout, Salt Cairn on site as well as a picnic area and swing set. There may be more traffic due to the proximity to Hwy. #21.  


Sunset Park

Essex Street at the end of Britannia Road West. It has a picnic area, field for games and lookout.


Taylor Morrison Park

North of Caledonia between Waterloo Street and North Street. It overlooks the Maitland River and has a picnic area and swing set.


All the parks in Goderich are public and we take pride in maintaining them for everyone's pleasure. Your choice of park will depend on the size of your special occasion/event and your preference. To ensure that the park is available and/or ready for your event please contact Town Hall with your request to use a particular park.



Goderich logo

Goderich Town Hall: 57 West Street, Goderich, ON N7A 2K5, Phone: 519-524-8344, Email:
Tourism Goderich: Phone: 519-524-6600, Toll-Free: 1-800-280-7637, Email:

By GHD Digital